Are you interested in urban agriculture? Are you looking for a summer activity during the day on weekdays?
We are in the process of recruiting volunteer gardeners to help us with efficient organic food production. You can register as a volunteer gardener with the SOCENV collective vegetable garden located on the site of the former ”Blue Bonnets” Montreal horse race track.
Located in Côte-des-Neiges, the hippodrome’s solidarity vegetable garden is a space for education and collective solidarity culture dedicated to ecological agriculture, based on food production and the transmission and exchange of knowledge.
The garden will supply various clientele, including the vulnerable populations of Côte-des-Neiges, through the Multicaf community cafeteria working in food security.
- Registration is reserved for residents of the borough who are not already gardeners in community gardens.
- Participation is requested in blocks of 3 hours per week minimum, with the schedule to be determined.
- You will need to have the physical ability to garden actively, to be available regularly on weekdays and during the day throughout the season, from April to November inclusively, every week.
- The number of places is limited and only compliant applications will be accepted, depending on the places available.
- The organization and communications will be done by email and digital tools.
Participating gardeners who are active and regularly present will receive a share of the harvest in return for their support during its production, the rest will be passed on to Multicaf, the community cafeteria of Côte-des-Neiges.
The SOCENV has developed great expertise in urban agriculture since 2005, and has been involved since 2019 in a transitional occupation project in urban agriculture, as a laboratory for innovative and effective cultivation techniques, aimed at acting directly on the resilience of the local food system.
Its main mission is to fight food insecurity by producing and delivering quality vegetables grown locally and organically to populations struggling with this reality.
The registration period will be open until March 31, 2022 inclusively. No applications will be considered or accepted after this deadline.
For more information or to submit your application, write to email@example.com with “collective vegetable garden 2022” as the subject, specifying your availability (days and times), as well as any information you think might be useful.
Thank you and we hope to see you this summer.